Thursday, March 02, 2006

Vent

B"H

These past few days, I've found a pattern developing with regards to my design. I developed a concept, dream about it, love it, care for it, and nurture it. Finally, I arrive at that stage that any parent does... the day that the drawing goes into the world of crits, abuse, and alcohol. (Don’t ask). I arrive at Wits to print. Then the frustration, horror and stress begins.

How many times do we poor our lives into our projects to make sure that they are immaculate, amazing, phenomenal.. I could go on with more words, but I think that you get the picture.. To arrive to print at Wits and realise that you cant log on, or the computers don’t work, or better yet, don’t have any of the programs that theoretically an Archi faculty that charges R20000 should be providing! Last night I got past all these regular barriers to be greeted by the classic - No More Paper Message. How long must we continue with this struggle? Does nobody get that the very university that is supposed to be educating us, is at the same time suppressing us through facilities that are available, but don’t work!
Neway, just wanted to vent a bit.. Have a good day!

5 comments:

Peter le Roux said...

Please vent to your class rep. Loudly! Facilities need to be improved, and until the faculty understands how much this impacts on our productivity that won't happen.

Vix said...

Last week, after finally finding a computer that actually worked, waiting for 15mins while it logged me on and having stripped off all my layers (still dying of heat due to the lack of airconditioning or windows that open) I started working on my computer tuts in the u/g cad lab (luckily the computer had the program I needed). I had been working on the computer for not more than 20mins when a friendly message (from my computer) popped up onto my screen. It read: "Your computer has reached its maximun temperature; please shut down." I decided to ignore it, thinking maybe the computer's just a bit confused or something (it was also the same temperature as all the surrounding computers)... A minute later, the same friendly message popped up on my screen. No matter what I did the computer did not want me to work on it...
It seems that its not only too hot for humans to work in that room, but computers too!
Our time is precious... PLEASE CAN SOMETHING BE DONE!!!! We're paying for the services, it would be nice if we could use them...

Justin Otten said...

I've finally got access to the network. Not that, that means anything, cos the computers barely work. My Sony flash drive was destroyed by a computers faulty hardware set up. It overheated and fried my 256 Mb microvault, leaving me out of pocket. Not impressed.
That problem asside. Programs are either abscent or incredibly slow. It's an uncomfortable, dirty, unorganised, unmaintained, useless resourse. Which esentially means it is of no use and cannot be regarded as a resourse to the students it should serve... Point Repeated for a reason. Enjoy.

Richard said...

a great commendment to my colegue and friend "goldthang" for starting this subject as i think something should be done aswell, there have been too many times upon which i had found myself, either not being able to log in,dying of heat, frustrated with the state of the so called cad lab, where nothing works and if by chance it happens that it does, you have to pay out your brown eye, i think its in a disgusting state, and that a world class institution such as our varsity such blasphomy is allowed to take place.I personnaly blame the department for hiring such useless help, and would really like to see someone appointed worthy of the post.Just to clear any misty thoughts, i am reffering to Janice.

Richard said...

one more thing i forgot to add, if the lab is there for students that need to WORK, why ... why i ask is there people playing NEED FOR SPEED UNDERGROUND 2 in peak times....!!!!!!!!!
people please that is left for home, as i too enjoy kickin some brown eye at home.