Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Big Black Box

B"H
















B"H

I hope that everyone is having a great break.

Let me tell you about a little adventure that Justin Otten and I have gone on. Last week we went to go see Lafarge Gypsum to inquire how much dry walling would be. Specifically to enclose a 3m x 3.6m space. Very generously, they have sponsored the materials for what we like to call the "Big Black Box" The intention behind this project is to change the dynamic of the space that we like to call the second year studio into one that is more user friendly, and ultimately comfortable. In my view the space was too large and too empty. By subdividing the space, newer smaller spaces have been created. The internal space will be used as a studio by me and Justin till the end of the year, and the intention is that the rest of you must add to it! Go get products and build a studio that works.

You might be wondering about the name... well, we intend on painting the box in Black board paint... the reason being that the studio that we have construction lectures is too small and confined... now we can use the studio as a space for learning... a massive board will be present and if the University agrees, we can add a pull down projector screen so a projector can be used.

We want to view this project as an addition to not only the second year studio, but jump start a tradition in the University of Exploring Space on a 1:1 scale. Start moving into the world of construction and understand building by building.

I look forward to your input…




2 comments:

Jarrod Mittan said...

hey buddy,I have some work I need done on my walls if you are up for the challenge....we can call the project "white tupperware"....let me know!

Anonymous said...

Lol, i must say its pretty cool. I innitially thought it was quite random when I saw you guys building it on thursday. Now after reading ur blog about it i c the light!